This website is designed to bring useful information to surveyors and the general public alike, General FAQ (Frequently-Asked Questions) section, and Section Corner information archive.
Site Last Updated On: 09/19/2013
|2013 Drainage Board Meeting Dates:
The next meeting will be held on October 8, 2013 Meetings are held at 9AM in Room A of the Elkhart County Public Services Building. Note: The agenda deadline is the Tuesday 1 week prior to the meeting.
Records Available at the Elkhart County Surveyor's Office:
Over 31,000 files and over 109 GB of historical and current survey information are available in electronic form by either PDF or TIFF. These files are listed with an asterick beside them. These files would be readily available to be transmitted electronically by email request. Files can be scanned and electronically transmitted, but are not currently available in electronic form. The Surveyor's Office meticulously scanned these documents to best preserve the integrity of the documents, photography, sketches, and survey drawings and in doing so created some files that are in excess of 50 MEG which is too large to email by some email carriers and mailboxes. If the file is too large in size, the Surveyor's Office can provide the electronic copy of the file on disk for the material cost for such item.
*Copies of Original Field Notes, 1829-1834
*Surveyor Record Books (Legal Surveys, 1830s-Present)
*Book of Stones (AKA Survey Record Book 1)
* Survey Record Book 2
* Survey Record Book 4
* Survey Record Book 5
* Township Plats
*Original Township Plats Plats
*Historic Plat Book
*Pictorial Atlas of Elkhart County
Section Corner Records
Survey Record of Corner Stones, ca. 1930
Section Corner Record Book, 1965-1985
Section Corner Card Catalogue, 1975-2000
Section Corner Data Sheets, 2000-Present
Vertical & Horizontal Control Info
Local GPS Points
Right of Way Plans
State Highway *
County Highway *
Wilden Snyder *
Asurco (Ron Weaver)
G & L Land Surveying (Max Garl) (Currently Under Way)
County Regulated Drains
Current Ditch Project Information
Notice: Starting August 16, 2012, the Elkhart County Surveyor's Office will be changing telephone numbers. The individual's telephone numbers will be updated on the Contact Us page once verified. The Main Office Number will be (574) 971-4677. Sorry for an inconvenience or disturbance this may cause.
MS4 Proposed Priority List For Elkhart County Stormwater Fee Budgeting
1. Funding the Annual Budgets of the Stormwater Partnership and County Stormwater expenses through approval of their annual 320 account budgets. (This amount will be determined when all budgets are approved. The 2012 Budgets have been established at $251,000.)
2. Funding the cost share program for repairing individual septic systems that cause illicit discharge. (This fund has been established at a rate of $100,000 per year, and is currently budgeted as part of the Health Dept. budget.)
3. Funding a cost share/seed money program for communities to address illicit discharge through a community based sewage system. Efforts will be made to identify areas where priority 3 should be selected rather than priority 2; and a list identifying community need will also be established, based on severity of the problem. Part or all of the seed money could be a revolving fund, where monies repaid are then loaned to other communities. Communities will share in the initial investment in these projects. Funding is to provide a system for existing needs, and landowners with fully functioning systems will not be required to hook-up, but will have the option to do so. All new development will be required to hook-up, and expansion will not be funded through the Stormwater Fee. (The board can establish an annual rate for funds available for this purpose. Blake suggests an amount of $100,000 and not to exceed 25% of the total ($800,000). Any expenses beyond this amount could only occur after a public hearing.)*
4. Funding for necessary upgrades to Elkhart County stormwater conveyances and practices to stay in compliance with stormwater management regulations. This fund will be overseen by the Surveyor and the Drainage Board and is dedicated to remedies for situations that would not be allowed under current regulations. (The board can establish an annual rate for funds available for this purpose. Blake suggests $50,000, not to exceed 15% of the total. Any expenses beyond this amount could only occur after a public hearing.)**
Al 5. Funding for other projects that eliminate severe illicit discharges into county stormwater conveyances that are determined by the Stormwater Board to have merit funds based on the regularity and severity of the situation. (The board can establish an annual rate for funds available for this purpose, not to exceed the remaining balance of funds.)
6. All other funds will be placed into reserve and will not be spent unless the Stormwater Board agrees there is merit and a public hearing is held.
* This can either be connecting to an existing system, or developing a community alternative system. A set of rules like those for the individual system cost share will need to be established by the board.
**This item is included to allow the County to make improvements on areas that are currently grandfathered an exemption to the requirements, but are not in compliance with new standards.
Proposed MS4 Fund Cap
County Portion MS4 $ 807,000 each year
To run departments $ 250,000 per year
Proposed cap on unused fund
4 years $3,228,000
Fund # 320 Balance as of today $2,869,341.55
If monies in Fund # 320 exceed cap the fee (tax) would stop until fund would get to about 1 year $800,000
If a large project over the $3,228,000 cap is proposed
A public hearing would be require to extend the cap past $3,228,000
Also strict guideline for the monies would be required
No new proposals are being considered at this time. We will post any updated proposals. Thank you for your participation in your government.
Link to BZA & Plat Meetings in June ..\july's agenda's.pdf
Link to Stormwater Meeting in October ..\Stormwater Board agenda 10-22-12.doc
Link to Stormwater Minutes for September Meeting ..\minutes 09-24-12.doc
Please E-mail The Elkhart County Surveyor's Office with any questions or comments. DBiller@elkcosurveyor.org
Indiana Code Link 2010 Indiana Code
Indiana House Bill 1291
Establishes an alternative dispute process for dealing with storm water nuisance complaints. Provides that the person seeking the removal of a storm water nuisance may file a request with a designated unit of government to investigate and make an assessment of the of the alleged problem. Allows a local unit to adapt an ordinance to charge a fee to recover the costs associated with the process. Requires the unit of government designee to provide an oral or written report pertaining to the assessment and alternative dispute resolution information. Establishes certain limitations in the applicability of the storm water nuisance investigation or assessment.
Note: There is no direct funding to resolve these drainage issues.
A link to the full bill is provided here. http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2011/HE/HE1291.1.html
The following article was provided by The Paper Incorporated out of Milford, Indiana, and is posted with their permission.
Drainage Forms Available for Download
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the following files
|Form 1: Petition for a Variance into Drainage Board Right-of-Way ===>|
|Form 2: Petition to Cross a County Regulated Drain ===>|
|Form 3: Permission to Enter a County Regulated Drain ===>|
|Form 3A: Permission to Enter a County Regulated Drain 8" or smaller ===>|
|Form 4: Permission to Clean a County Regulated Drain ===>|
|Form 5: Petition for Maintenance/Reconstruction of a Co. Reg. Drain ===>|
|Form 6: Permission for a Utility to Cross a Co. Reg. Drain ===>|
|Form 6E: Permission for a Utility to Excavate a Co. Reg. Drain ===>|
|Form 7: Petition to Assume Jurisdiction of a Mutual Drain ===>|
|Accepted Variance Table ===>|
|Elkhart County Drainage Board Variance Procedure ===>|
It is possible to type upon each document within Adobe Acrobat Reader. Please print the document and fax it to, or drop it off at, our office. Visit the Contact Us page for details.
Submit your website FREE to over 100 Search Engines!